Win $100 and free entry to this year’s ThinkingFunny22 Humor-Writing Conference.
Entries are being accepted in three categories
- Family-Friendly Tales
- Humor used in a serious (non-fiction) topic
Fees – There is no cost to enter.
Rights – Author retains all rights but winners agree to have their names and entry-titles published and noted in www.ThinkingFunny.com’s promotional materials.
Requirements – All work must be the original, unpublished work of the author. Writers can enter one category only. Multiple entries will be disqualified.
Length – All entries are limited to no more than 600 words, not counting the title.
- Entries must be received no later than March 20th, 2022, 12 midnight Pacific Time.
- Late entries will not be read.
- Entries must be sent as PDF attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ENTRANTS MUST SPECIFY IN THEIR SUBJECT LINE WHICH OF THE THREE CATEGORIES THEY ARE ENTERING! Failure to do so can result in rejection of their entry.
- The entry PDF should have the title of the work and the entry only. Do NOT INCLUDE the author’s name, please.
- Entries also should have a brief author bio of no more than 50 words in the body of the email.
- Please include a mailing address in the body of the email cover
- Finalists will be contacted and asked to submit a photo suitable for inclusion on the event website and after-party.
Restrictions – Immediate family members of the organizers, presenters, and judges are barred from entry.
- Travel/memoirs allows for stories that fall in either or both genres. The goal is to have a humorous, first-person approach of a memorable experience told in the first-person.
- Family-friendly stories can range in style from Erma Bombeck, to Dave Barry, to Ring Lardner. They can be exaggerated or whole-cloth fiction. Best entries will have memorable, even quirky, characters. Language and style should be suitable for a general audience.
- Humor for Serious Topics is a non-fiction category that asks the author to teach us, or explain something, in a humorous way. Look at the work of Bill Bryson or Mary Roach, or read Anne Janzer’s chapter on humor-writing in “Writing to be Understood.”
Goal – To encourage writers to create new material for publication and possibly gain recognition and world wide acclaim. Well, maybe not quite world-wide…. This is a no gimmick, no “catches” contest. Entrants will still own their material and since it won’t be published on the event website, there will be no loss of marketability. Entrants won’t be spammed or solicited. Top finalists in each category will be announced no later than March 27th, 2022, and all finalists will be invited to attend the conference and after-party, at no cost, and to be present when the winners are announced and the cash prizes awarded.
Questions can be directed to email@example.com.