Learn the Art, Craft, and Business Of Writing
ThinkingFunny will be hosting a variety of masterclasses, please subscribe to our newsletter to get updates.
This is a limited enrollment slated for May 21st, with details to follow. The class that will be approximately 90 minutes in all. See below for Anne’s instructions of how to prepare in advance for the workshop.
If you have any questions or problems, email email@example.com.
We hope you’ll join us! www.thinkingfunny.com
“This workshop will be a safe space for nonfiction writers who want to infuse humor in their work—or for humorists who want to expand to other kinds of nonfiction writing. We’ll analyze examples from published works in multiple fields and examine the techniques and strategies various authors use. Participants are invited to send short (1-paragraph) examples from their own work, and we’ll workshop a few of them. Everyone should come away primed to experiment with humor in their professional writing.”
Anne’s bio – https://thinkingfunny.com/anne-janzer-humor-for-serious-subjects/
Cathy’s session TBA, but do read the entire description below!
Are you stuck trying to write a novel?
- Have you tried writing several stories, only to stall out in the middle and move on to a new project?
- Do you like the idea of plot outlines, but have difficulty figuring out what happens next, or what should happen where?
- Or are you a writer who hates outlining, preferring to write a novel organically– but still feel like your story needs more plot and structure?
- Outlining, whether it’s just the turning points or a comprehensive scene by scene plot outline, might help you get past your block.
The ROCK YOUR PLOT masterclass teaches a clear, flexible process to help you with your:
- Premise: test your premise for inherent conflict and sustainability.
- Characterization: create strong characters with urgent goals, understandable motivation, and tons of obstacles.
- Plot outline, turning points: use those characters to build logical and powerful plot points and complete character arcs.
- Plot outline, scene-by-scene: Develop a sequence of dynamic scenes that propels your reader through your story.
This workshop goes straight to the point, putting theory in plain language, adding examples from blockbuster stories, and finishing each section with exercises designed to help you work with your characters to write a novel that excites you… and your readers.
Mike’s session will be Saturday, May 14, and the forthcoming details will be published here.
Mike has been helping authors for 50 years. He, his wife, Elizabeth Pomada, co-founded the much-respected San Francisco Writer’s Conference, and his book, How To Write A Book Proposal is a must-have resource for beginning writers. The reference is in its 5th edition and has sold more than 100,000 copies.
Much like the book, this limited enrollment masterclass will address will help participants craft a knock-your-socks-off proposal.
Whether you’re seeking a traditional press to publish your self-published book or trying to win over an agent for your graphic novel, memoir, or nonfiction title, you need an irresistible proposal. The better your proposal, the better the editor, publisher, and deal you will get.Nailing your proposal requires an understanding of how publishers work and how to brand yourself, build a platform, and structure your book.
• Examples of successful proposals that earned six-figure deals
• Guidance from agents, publishers, and writers
• Ways to customize your proposal
• Strategies for proposals in the Digital Age
• Effective structures for narrative writers
• A list of the “Top Ten Proposal Killers”
Join Mike and get the inside story.
Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org.